5 Reasons To Get Outside

Posted by npocpas1 npocpas1

These days we almost inevitably find ourselves planted in a chair with a screen in front of us for long stretches of time.  It’s the nature of the beast; most jobs function sedentarily inside an office of some kind, and much of our leisure time is spent on our phones or tablets or televisions – unwinding to the easiness of the Internet.  Because the world of screens is so prevalent in our everyday lives it has become increasingly important to take/make the time to get outside and into nature – to unplug.  It’s easier said than done but the benefits are boundless, we’re naming a few just to get you out the door:

Stress Relief and Improved Focus – even a 5-minute walk outside and away from your desk can ease the tension and fog we feel when we’re under the gun or working long hours.

Boost Energy Levels – movement in general will improve your vitality, but a stroll in fresh air and natural light has been shown repeatedly to be more effective than caffeine when it comes to needing a pick-me-up.

Mood Improvement – did you know that vitamin D is one of the most common deficiencies in America?  It’s also a key player in fighting off depression, among a myriad of other benefits, and absorbing it from the sun is a great way for your body to produce it naturally (with a little SPF 30+ of course).

Inspiration – it’s amazing what kind of doors a change of scenery can unlock in our minds.  Even if you’re not one for practices like meditation, getting out and moving through the environment allows the mind to clear and receive thoughts and ideas that were otherwise blocked by routine distractions.

Exercise – we all know we need it.  Taking your workout outdoors is like a field trip for your body; running outside instead of on a treadmill brings new challenges and levels to your practice, strength training or yoga in the park instead of the gym replaces fluorescent lights and recycled air with sunlight (what up, vitamin D!) and a rejuvenating breeze.  Even just a walk around the block gets your blood pumping and all of the above – consider one block today, two blocks tomorrow…

Bonus Reason – it’s really stinkin’ beautiful.