Client Spotlight - Cancer Support Community - Benjamin Center,

Posted by npocpas1 npocpas1
Sometimes you don’t have to travel very far from home in order to find a great cause that you can really get behind and support. Cancer affects so many people near and dear to all of us; thus it is with great pride and admiration that we at Harrington Group focus our Client Spotlight on the Cancer Support Community - Benjamin Center.

Cancer Support Community - Benjamin Center, formerly The Wellness Community, was founded by Dr. Harold Benjamin and his wife Harriet in 1982. With cancer being a very real part of our society, affecting someone we all know, the Cancer Support Community revolutionized the way that patients and their families receive support and care. The Benjamins also wanted to make sure that patients and their families could get the help that they needed, for free. They have pushed, since the beginning, to make the medical community realize the importance of treating the whole person and not just the disease.

The idea for the organization came about after the Benjamins had the experience of Harriet’s successful fight with breast cancer in the 1970s. They discovered that the involvement of their family and friends was a huge part in her recovery and that the community that they surrounded themselves with played an active role, too. This experience led to Harold’s Patient Active Concept, based on the importance of “active participation” in the treatment and recovery process "to improve the quality of life and enhance the possibility of recovery."

One of the first and biggest advocates for the Cancer Support Community was comedian Gilda Radner of Saturday Night Live fame. After her diagnosis with ovarian cancer, Gilda was not sure how she wanted to handle the news and her treatment. After her visit to the Cancer Support Community, she realized that it was "a community for people who have cancer to come and play in, to make their lives better, to have an opportunity to help themselves and to help other people" and she never looked back.

Currently, the Cancer Support Community - Benjamin Center (CSC) offers free programs for anyone affected by cancer, including people with cancer and their families.   CSC’s service territory extends from Malibu to downtown and to El Segundo and Sherman Oaks.  CSC’s services include group support, counseling, healthy lifestyle classes, educational workshops and social activities. Cancer Support Community - Benjamin Center is part of an international network of 50 affiliates.  With the help of the internet, CSC is able to offer help to remote locations and hospitals, making its reach upwards of 750,000 patients worldwide.

If you or someone you know is facing cancer, do not do it alone. Contact the Cancer Support Community and take advantage of the strength of a loving community. We at Harrington Group are so very proud of all the work CSC does to help people in their battle against this disease.  And remember – it’s all free of charge!  Call 310-314-2555 for more information or visit www.cancersupportcommunitybenjamincenter.org