Earth Day - 2015

Posted by npocpas1 npocpas1
Living in a society that is seemingly centered around instant gratification and more concerned with immediate results than long lasting, sustainable plans it is easy to lose sight of the bigger picture of what is happening all around us. There is so much more contributing to and in a sense controlling our lives, but we often forego the hard conversations, and ignore troubling realities, in favor of not adding large scale, overwhelming problems (which we often feel powerless over) to our already busy and stressful lives. It borders on impressive, how well we - society at large - suppress and block-out the knowledge of our obvious troubles. So instead of feeling overwhelmed, I challenge you to feel empowered.

Today is Earth Day.

That was the problem being referenced in the opening paragraph - the planet we live on. Now the planet in and of itself is not a problem. I think we can all agree it has been a bountiful source of life and has been integral to our survival. The problem becomes evident when we start examining our treatment of it. Earth, and its natural resources are being consumed at astonishing rates. With the industrial revolution came a shift from the traditional way things were made and done to a drastically changed method. Over the years there have been laws and stipulations put in place to regulate such things as emission, waste, toxicity, etc. But, even so, we are in uncharted territory. Everything has never been moving and growing and changing at such a rapid speed. In my life so far I have had 8 different cell phones. No previous generation would have the waste we have, due to technology alone. We are simply consuming at a much faster rate than anyone before us. This does not come as a surprise to any of us. I do not expect this to stop you in your tracks.

The goal of this post, as with many others is self-examination. Nobody is expected to alter their whole life in an effort to save the planet, and innovate green technology. Everything within reason. Every person can take small steps to positively impact, and in essence shrink their footprint on the planet. Here are some simple steps you can try.

Walk to work or dinner one night a week instead of driving.
Bring your own cup or bottle for your beverages.
Do not eat meat for one day a week.
Turn of lights & unplug electronics when not in use.
Turn down your thermostat when you are out of the house.
Be conscious of the clothing and fabrics you buy - some synthetics are actually more eco-friendly.
Eat foods that are grown locally.
Recycle!
Re-use items. Whether it be clothes that no longer fit, or a container that is now empty. Find a new use for it or pass it on.
Consider alternative, clean energy sources.

The point is, you can significantly alter your impact on the environment by changing one daily habit, or one day a week in your schedule. The benefits far out-weigh the effort it will cost you. So do not feel overwhelmed, start small. Make one step, that feels manageable to you. You can always add more later, or decide this isn’t working and make a new plan. The point is, you are in control of what you want to do, and it is up to you to care for the planet and set an example for future generations.