Fall Produce At It's Finest

Posted by npocpas1 npocpas1
It is officially autumn!  The first day of fall marks the beginning of a truly magnificent season; it’s a time that warm colors, tall boots, and pumpkin spice reign supreme, a time in which we trade tequila and the beach for bourbon and blankets.  Fall begins the seasons of coziness, and to honor that change we thought we would make a list of the most palatable produce available, plus a few suggestions regarding which comfort foods to pair each with!

SQUASH

Butternut squash, winter squash, zucchini, pumpkins…all are in season and begging to be roasted or made into thick, warming soups.  Pair any of the above with a simple oven-roasted chicken or with our next ingredient…

SAGE

This fuzzy, aromatic herb is perfect for all things fall.  Cook with it fresh or dried, just never serve it raw!  Sage shines when paired with pork and slightly sweeter elements, such as apples or butternut squash.

APPLES

They’re available year round but now is when they are going to be at their best!  Bake them in a pie, make them into a spiced cider, or roast them alongside your favorite white meat – bonus points if you adventure out to an orchard and pick them yourself!

PEARS

The apple’s oblong cousin.  Pears are just as versatile as apples; put them in tarts, stew them and throw them on your oatmeal, or chop them up with some walnuts and blue cheese on top of a salad!

BRUSSELS SPROUTS

Another veggie that’s dying to be roasted and paired with any of the above…or fried crispy and tossed with bacon and parmesan cheese.  There’s no wrong choice.

FIGS

The prettiest of all the fall produce, figs add an element of glamour to any dish.  They want creamy cheeses and prosciutto or to be baked with a luxurious brown sugar or molasses.  When in doubt, slice ‘em up and throw ‘em on top for added flavor and beauty!