Golden State Drought

Posted by npocpas1 npocpas1
As California residents, we are accustomed to a certain amount of sunshine, and enjoy all around pleasant weather. The Golden State, nick-named as such for the gold many miners found in the state and the fields of golden poppies, may as well have been named for the golden rays of sunshine we constantly find ourself under. We have great weather! But do you remember that nursery rhyme from childhood? The simple line stated, “April flowers bring May flowers.” Well, here we are, with April just over and the idea of rain is a little foreign to us. We may get a drizzling here or there, but not typically enough rain to bring about those previously mentioned Spring blooms. So what is the cost of living in a state of perpetual sunshine? Well it is getting pretty steep. California is in a very serious, ongoing drought.

We have heard over the past 4 years that we are in a drought. It seems that in many ways, we are not taking this news to heart. While we expected a nice, replenishing, rainy season in the first few months of the year, January, February and March turned out to be the driest on record. In addition to lack of precipitation during these months, California has also experienced record high temperatures. This is not good news for us, as months and years add up, and the drought continues, the situation only because more serious and concerning.

The reality is that water is scarce, and water prices are a fragile, political topic. There are also fees being imposed for mis-usage of water. It is such a major problem, but still feels out of our control. It’s the weather, you cannot control it, and all the rain dances you do may not be enough to correct the dire situation we are in. However, you do have power to use the resources we do have to their maximum benefit. You can minimize your consumption and maximize effective usage.

Consider the water you use to rinse off your hands, or foods before cooking them. This water can be caught and reused to water plants.

Run dishwashers and washing machines, only when full to minimize wasteful runs on small loads.

Change your toilet, shower head and washing machine to more water-efficient alternatives.

Make sure your faucets and plumbing are not leaking.

Add a layer of mulch around trees and plants to aid in reducing evaporation and use water efficient irrigation systems.

These are just examples of water usage in the home. You can also look at the water footprint of products you buy and assess whether you want to support them and participate in their usage. There are many many ways you can reduce your water consumption and many state and city provided resources to help you navigate through this drought. Stay informed about the state of our water because it effects every one of us. It is our duty to handle this drought responsibly, so that down the line, the problem will not be exacerbated and irreversible.