How To Make Volunteer Work A Family Affair

Posted by npocpas1 npocpas1

         In today’s day and age, it can be daunting to shield our families, more specifically our children, from the perpetual news cycle of twisted politics, environmental disasters, climate change and overall dreadful occurrences. More and more children are growing up with an awareness of the world’s current state and gaining an interest in how they can help. Adolescents like Greta Thunberg, a 17 year old activist for climate change, have sparked a movement of increasing involvement from our youth.

        Taking part in the “solutions” of our worldly issues can empower our children and our families, softening the intensity of the never-ending news cycles. We are never too young to learn the value in volunteering. Plus…what could be a better family activity than one that helps to make the world an improved place? Here are a few ideas to get your family started:

What is your family interested in?
        Look for volunteer opportunities that align with your family’s current interests. Choosing an activity that is engaging for your group is a good strategy to achieve long term sustainability for participation. Passion is power!

- Are you a tribe of beach bums? Do you often hit up the coastline to surf, boogie board or make sand castles? If so, why not try volunteering for a beach clean up? Trash that has been littered on the beaches is not only bad for the animals but it also negatively impacts the experience of beach-goers.

-Does your family love animals? Contact local animal shelters or rescues. Make sure to check with their minimum age requirements for working with animals directly. Even if your child doesn’t meet the age requirement just yet, there may be other opportunities for younger kids to help out, such as with fundraising and/or events.

-Are you outdoorsy people? Great! Then there are a variety of options for you to get out and do some good. Families that plant trees together stay together (okay this isn’t scientifically proven but come on). Look for a local charity that has tree planting events. You can also look for a local charity walk or a fun run that raises money for to benefit a cause that’s meaningful to your family. Didn’t have any interest in cleaning up the beaches? There are also litter picking opportunities inland! Look for local litter picking events that you can do together. Can’t find an event that works within your family’s busy schedule? You can also purchase some litter pickers and trash bags, take a family walk and teach our kids the value of cleaning up their own neighborhood and the surrounding areas.

-Does your family love to be social and meet new people? Look for local nursing homes, where you and your children can spend time visiting, talking and playing games with the residents.

        These are just a few suggestions, merely scratching the surface of possibilities for you and your family to volunteer together. It is important to spend time together as a family unit, so why not use that time to instill good morals and values and to improve the world around us?

HAPPY VOLUNTEERING!!