Meet the Newest Audit Managers at Harrington Group

Posted by npocpas1 npocpas1
Here at Harrington Group we are lucky to work with some amazing organizations and truly wonderful people. While we often highlight our terrific clients, in this post, we want to turn the spotlight on two of our very own fantastic, hard-working, employees: Kien Hong and Ozzie Torres.

These two gentlemen, through their years of hard work and dedication have recently earned promotions. As we think rather highly of them, we thought you would enjoy getting to know them a little better as well.

KIEN HONG
Kien was born in Saigon, Vietnam and grew up in Los Angeles. While times were hard in Vietnam, he grew up viewing life as an abundance of opportunities. Influenced by his father's strong drive and work ethic, working hard has never been seen as a burden. His father instilled in him that the opportunity to work, even when it may be stressful, is much preferable to the stress of not having  a job.

Growing up Kien had dreams of being an astronomer or an oceanographer, yet always imagined wearing a suit and tie into work while carrying his briefcase. He went on to study Business Economics at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), with a minor in Accounting. His sister, who is an accountant, helped to steer him towards a career in accounting. He started working as a teacher's aide while attending UCLA, and has since held jobs at various accounting firms in Southern California.

Kien came to Harrington Group because he felt his experience would be a great fit and there were opportunities for success and growth. After more than two years as a member of the Harrington Group team we are proud to announce that Kien has been promoted to Audit Manager.

When he isn't working hard at the office, Kien enjoys traveling with his wife, fishing and visiting the gardens and art exhibits at the Huntington Library with his 2 daughters.

OZZIE TORRES
Ozzie was born in Mexico City before his family moved to Los Angeles. He grew up in the city of Bell, where he attended the local high school and lettered in basketball. He says, "Basketball taught me the importance of team-work, being disciplined and sparked my competitive drive." He remembers spending a lot of time at the local park working on his basketball skills, and also, cutting his friend's hair. This hobby of cutting hair turned into a business.  As his number of clients grew, Ozzie's father recommended he study up on accounting, lending Ozzie a book from the class he was currently taking. Ozzie took a liking to accounting high school, but simply as a way to effectively manage the money in his business properly, not yet as a career option. He had his heart set on being a sports agent.

His parents and siblings were, and still are a large influence in his life. His parents always encouraged him to work hard and follow his dreams. As for his siblings, he wanted to be an example to them, that with hard work and dedication, anything is possible. After his interest in high school, Ozzie found his way back to accounting with an introductory accounting class. He was looking for career options that would open the doors to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or the Federal Bureau of Investigation and allow him to work in the investigation of individuals for money laundering, kidnapping, firearms or narcotics. He saw accounting as a great opportunity. Ozzie studied Business Administration at California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA), with an option in Accounting.

Before joining the Harrington Group team, more than 5 years ago, Ozzie assisted in civil engineers studies of traffic accidents, as well as working at another CPA firm. Ozzie cited the connection to the non-profit world as one aspect that drew him to Harrington Group, as well as the people he gets to work with. We could not be happier to announce that Ozzie has recently been promoted to Audit Manager.

Outside the office Ozzie enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children, as well as his parents and siblings. He loves getting outside and hitting the trails on his mountain bike and still enjoys playing basketball, finding time every week to spend on the court.

We are so proud to count these wonderful men as assets to our Harrington Group team. They both spoke of their co-workers and the Harrington Group partners with such respect and admiration. Ken and Ozzie, the feelings are mutual. We are so appreciative of all the work you do, going above and beyond for Harrington Group. We can't wait to see you excel in these new leadership positions!