Teacher Appreciation Week

Posted by npocpas1 npocpas1
This week is a time designated to express our gratitude and appreciation for some very special people in our lives - teachers. Teachers have shaped and molded lives in so many ways beyond the basics of Arithmetic and English.

Regardless of what career path has been chosen, or how distant the school memories are, we all have at least one outstanding teacher who comes to mind when we look back on who greatly influenced our lives. It has likely been years since you have seen this teacher, you have drastically changed, the hallways at schools no longer seem daunting and you have mastered all those skills that once seemed beyond comprehension. Yet, the lessons they instilled in you have stayed with you through all the chaos life has thrown at you.

So what is it about teachers that makes their lessons stay with you a lifetime? Beyond the obvious answer of the acts of teaching you, their power is in the fact that they see you - and I don’t mean with their eyes. Teachers see you for the person you are and accept you. It sounds so simple, but in the modern world where we may cross paths with hundreds or thousands of people in a day without interaction, someone taking the time to listen, to help, and to validate your work and feelings is rare.

When we are young, this need for approval and recognition is vital. Often times, teachers are the people providing this approval, or guidance. Outside of family, the world can feel like it is different than you. Whether struggling with grades, sports, friends or any other plague life has dealt, having someone willing to listen to you and help you navigate through early struggles leaves a memorable bond.

Although we can not all track down our long lost favorite teacher, we can honor them through our lives. Honor the lessons they taught you, and the morals they instilled in you, and pass those on to your family and friends. If you are lucky enough to have teachers in your life, take the time to simply, genuinely thank them for what they do - they are changing the world.